Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Banana Bread. Take 1 & 2.

A classic and favorite baked good in my house is banana bread.  I have played with many recipes and have come to the conclusion that I love three different recipes (including my grandmother's).  One of my top recipes is 'Flour's Famous Banana Bread'.  I have made this recipe a several times in the past, and all of them have turned out beautifully; however, for the first time in my new place my banana bread failed!

Upon opening my oven door and looking upon a gorgeous brown crust and smelling the banana'ie' aroma, I tested to see if the top springs back.  I lightly touched the top, and to my surprise, it was not ready.  That is okay, I will just let it bake for longer. This continued until my top of bread was looking a little too dark.  I let out a sigh and took it out.  It has baked for an hour and a half, way longer than my previous times baking this same recipe.  I walked away to do some other things, and came back to a sunken bread! 

I was crushed, bummed, and just plain ANGRY! What happened?  I did everything perfectly...or did I? 

Later, my boyfriend's uncle came by to visit and suggested that my oven may not be set at the correct temp.  So I ventured to get an oven thermometer, and attempted the recipe again.  Using the oven thermometer to set the oven at 350, I found that I needed it to be set at 385!  I have been cooking and baking 35 degrees off.  No wonder why it took so long to make a frozen pizza! 

Anyways, sorry for the small rant! This is the banana bread recipe that I love and use regularly
The stars of the show!
Mix together flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
Whisk eggs and sugar until light and fluffy, then drizzle in oil.
Add bananas, vanilla, and sour cream.  Fold in dry ingredients.
 Line bread pan with parchment paper and bake at 350 (oven thermometer 350!) for 45 minutes to an hour.
Wonderful Banana Bread...Mmm!


Flour’s Famous Banana Bread
 
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour                      2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda                                         ½ cup oil
¼ tsp ground cinnamon                              3 -3 ½ bananas, very ripe, mashed
½ tsp salt                                                       2 Tbl
crème fraîche or sour cream
1 cup plus 2 Tbl sugar                                1 tsp vanilla extract
 
Preheat oven to 350.  Line loaf pan with parchment paper.
 
Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.  Beat sugar and eggs with a whisk until light and fluffy, about 10 minutes.  Drizzle in oil.  Add mashed bananas, creme fraiche, and vanilla.  Fold in dry ingredients.  Pour into a lined loaf pan and bake for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
 
Let stand in pan to cool before removing.  Serve with butter, peanut butter, or honey.
 
The moral of this story: Bake with an Oven Thermometer!